…by Lynn Riley – Area 3 Member
Area 3 Amateurs talk about the:
- Highlight(s) of their 2018 show season
- Highlight(s) of their horse showing career
- The highlight of my 2018 show season was the 2018 show season! I was just so happy to be back in the show ring after having being out of the ring for years. I had some good rides and good placings and lots of fun. Its Good To Be Loved (Theo) has been such a good boy! I’d like to thank Jodi Mallette for all her help making this happen.
- The highlight of my show career would be qualifying for the world show with Optimistic View in 2010 and 2011 in Senior and Amateur Pleasure Driving. He was a great horse for me.
- The biggest highlight of my 2018 show season was having myself and both my kids show our mare Extremely Shocking (Adele). My daughter Hayley is 5 and has been showing Leadline since last year and loves every minute of it. My son Brayden is 7, and surprised me when he wanted to show in Small Fry Showmanship with a week to prepare before the last show. Thankfully, our horse Adele is so exceptionally minded, she happily did her job for all of us.
- The highlight of my showing career has nothing to do with awards or ribbons. I absolutely love that a few weeks out of the year I get to escape the day-to-day routines and pack up the horse and kids and make some memories and learn some life skills. I have made so many life-long friends over the years of showing and love how supportive they have been.
- The highlight of the 2018 show season was showing in the riding classes in the walk trot division which has helped me to gain my confidence for getting back in the show ring.
- This year, being back in the saddle has been amazing.
- My greatest achievement this year was earning my first Western Pleasure point with Sleepin N The Dark (Georgia). It was a moment of intense pride and accomplishment. Georgia and I have been working up to the Western Pleasure all season and to be able to make the jump and experience success just makes me so delighted.
- It would be easy to say that my greatest moment showing was when I won 13 & Under Western Pleasure with Ultimate Ride at Quarterama in 1999, but it wouldn’t be true. With my current mare Georgia, I have truly become the driver when it comes to riding and showing. By completing most of her training on my own, I feel like I have a greater sense of pride and appreciation of all the hard work that goes into a winning ride. Showing can easily be an emotional rollercoaster, however with Georgia as a partner, I have learned that the journey is just as sweet as the reward.
- 2018 has been an unforgettable show season –I won the All Around Select Amateur award at every circuit I attended and won the High Point Select Amateur year-end award for Area 3 and Ontario.
- Over my many years of showing, I have been fortunate to have had many highlights a few are:
• Owning two “once in a lifetime horses” – Just Playin Star (Georgia) and Good Zippo Two (Clancy)
• Winning the Ontario High Point Select Amateur award in 2018, the Reserve High Point Select Amateur award in 2014 and the Reserve High Point Amateur award in 2010 – all with Georgia
• Placing in the top 15 in Select Amateur Hunt Seat Equitation at the Congress in 2015
• Being named the first Pinto Youth Champion in Canada